Cultural differences and conflict management within virtual teams is usually a common aspect in many organizations. The rise of telecommuting and improved technology has led to emergence of virtual teams within organizations.
- The definition of a virtual team
- The scope of work done by the virtual teams
- The presence of various cultural backgrounds in workplaces
Types of Conflicts
There are various types of conflicts faced by virtual teams while in their workplace. They include the following:
- Relationship/ social conflict
- Data conflict
- Identity conflict
Conflict management is an important aspect in any organization since it facilitates the resolution of conflicts and ensures minimal costs in investment projects.
- The virtual teams need to acknowledge and appreciate the disparities in culture.
- Solving of organizational conflicts amicably
- Each virtual team member has his or her own point of view.
- Virtual team members should be taught how to take control of their emotions.
Escalation of a Conflict
Conflict escalation involves conflict deterioration and worsening leading to disagreement between the virtual members.
- Escalation of conflicts in working places causes disagreements.
- Conflict escalation in organizations might lead to increase in investment cost.
- The management should intervene in conflict resolution before it adversely affects the organization.
Conflict resolution between virtual team members is important for effective performance of the workforce.
- Importance of improved communication tactics between virtual team members
- The management use of conference call to resolve conflict within an organization
- Presentation of ideas and point of views by virtual team members
How to Defuse a Conflict
There are various stages involved in defusing a conflict within an organization.
- Understanding of the conflict situation
- Employees give out their respective ideas
- The conflicting parties are given an opportunity to set their differences
- Finding a common ground for the conflicting parties
- The conflicting parties are encouraged to compromise
- Modern technology and telecommuting as facilitated the use of virtual teams in some organizations
- Organizations should improve communication strategies
- Conflicts in workplaces impede achievement of organizational goals and objectives
- Conflict resolution in the workplace should be managed and defused