COMPLEX WORKPLACE COMMUNICATION STRATEGY
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY PLAN
Equal Employment Opportunity is a Law proposed by the federal agencies for protecting the employees against all sorts of institutional discrimination and harassment. The specific measure of this law is to ensure that the rules implemented in the work environment, policies and practices are fair and all the workers are valued and respected. The application of the EEO law protects all the employees against racial and ethnic discrimination. The rights of the individuals with disabilities are protected under this law and it is ensured that their performance is analyzed only on the basis of work which they perform (Karitane, 2007).
The implementation of the EEO plan is essential for the organizations. This helps in creating a diverse and skilled workforce, enhances participation of the employees and supports improvement of the overall work culture. EEO functions on the sole objective of preventing harassment and reducing the conflicts which arise due to social differences (Krieger, 1995). This report will show an implementation strategy of EEO practice for managing a diversified workforce in the hospitality industry. The target of the implementation strategy and its associated advantages elaborate the significance of the EEO practice.
DESCRIPTION OF EEO AND HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY
Equal Employment Opportunity is an essential component of complex workplace communication strategies. Organizations have become globalised and this has created the need for a diversified workforce. The organizations are also pressurized by the governing bodies for ensuring that employees are hired on the basis of merit and not on the basis of ethnic backgrounds they belong too. This strongly represents that the organizations must apply the EEO policies which aligns people belonging to diversified backgrounds with the organizational goals and objectives. The major steps which the organizations must implement include forming written policies and training of the staff so that such acts can be avoided. These practices are a form of hindrance for the management which creates difficulties for aligning the workforce towards the organizational goals and objectives (Tanke, 2001).
The hospitality industry is considered as an integral part of the overall global economy. The mobility of the business has increased and due to the globalization of the business the workforce diversity of the business has also increased. The organizations are facing excessive challenges with the diversified workforce. They make sure that cultural diversity does not give rise to harassment of workers and discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex and ethnic background (Mok, 2002).
The overall plan and purpose for implementing the EEO practice includes enhancing the profitability and accomplishing the corporate objectives of the business. This will contribute in the development of a diverse workforce. Managing the diversified workforce improves active participation and it creates formal measures for improving the strategies. The statute governs the laws of EEO and this is used for enhancing the overall functionality of the organizations. The points discussed above are the targets of the EEO laws of the organization (Pautler, 2011).
BENEFITS OF APPLICATION OF EEO
The role of EEO has become excessively significant with the globalization of the businesses. This requires that people belonging from diversified backgrounds interact and work in collaboration with one another for achieving the organizational goals. The benefits of EEO plans are observed on the individuals and on the departments. Individuals belonging from diverse ethnic backgrounds get an opportunity of applying their skills and developing career opportunities which enhance their talents and abilities. The organizations benefit from diversified groups of employees by utilizing their talents and skills. The diversified workforce enhances the overall decision making capabilities of the organizations. Diversified groups contribute in strengthening overall customer relationship through equity and diversity (Krieger, 1995).
The organizations require that they constantly monitor and access the progress of the organization by affirming that whether the implementation strategy is or is not successful. The organizations require monitoring their progress and ensure appropriate implementation of the progress on a regular basis. For analyzing the progress it is essential that initiatives for improving overall equity and diversity of the workplace are essential to be assessed regularly (Krieger, 1995).
TARGETS OF THE IMPLEMENTATION AND DEVELOPMENT PLAN
The organizations apply EEO for improving the overall efficiency and eliminating sexual and racial harassment within the organizations. The target of the plan which is implemented must comprise of the following:
- Improving the organizational culture, increase accountability and maintains equity amongst the employees. This promotes a healthy work culture and maintains effective interaction between the workers. The environment of such an organization is inclusive and all the employees are aware of their rights and responsibilities.
- The work environment must not be biased towards the employees. The capabilities of the employees must be judged on merit basis rather than on the basis of ethnic belonging. Equity must be promoted in the formalized environment for securing the rights of the employees.
- The business environment is globalizing and connectivity of the businesses across the globe has increased. This requires that the businesses hire people from diverse ethnic backgrounds.
- The organizational plan and objectives must be effectively communicated to the workforce. This requires constant review and assessment of implementation of the organizational strategies.
The target of EEO is implementation of the above mentioned postulates. This improves the qualitative and quantitative measures of the overall organizational efficiency. Employee turnover, overall contribution of the employees, diversified workforce is all the measure which is improved by creating a merit based job environment. The EEO plan works on these targets for improving and enhancing overall performance of the organizations. In the hospitality industry the employees are required to provide services to people coming from different diversified backgrounds. Maintaining a diversified workforce helps the organizations in providing services to the customers which come from a diversified environment.
EEO implementation requires appropriate managing of the workforce of the organization. Possessing a diversified workforce is essential for the hospitality industry because people belonging from different environments end up being the guests of the business. For catering the guests belonging to diversified backgrounds it is essential that the organization must have a diversified workforce. Managing such staff requires implementing strategies which can align them with the organizational goals and objectives. The measures which the businesses operating in the hospitality require to implement and manage the workforce include the following
- Training of the staff and using technological advancements for aligning the entire workforce. These trainings must include ways for increasing the interaction between the employees. Teams must be formed and specific tasks must be allotted to those teams for improving the overall productivity of the business.
- Country philosophy must be assessed and an entire infrastructure of the organization must be formed on that basis. Both foreign and local staff must be hired. Foreign staff must be awarded positions on the reception keeping in view the technical skills which they possess. This will create a positive impression on the guests.
- Staff members such as Chefs must be assessed for their expertise and skills which they possess. They must possess skills for managing and producing excellent food with minimum wastage for ensuring maximum efficiency.
- Technical staff employed by the business must possess the required skills for the job. They must be assessed on the basis of merit and not on their ethnic belonging. Racial discrimination and harassment of the employees must be avoided. The staff must be provided with appropriate training for avoiding such acts.
- EEO safeguards the rights of the physically disabled. Merit based employment must be offered to the staff members which are physically disabled. The management must take appropriate tests of the disabled employees for assessing that whether they are fit for performing the job or not. If the employees prove their capabilities and show that they are fit for the job then they must be appointed.
The above mentioned implementation strategies are amongst few of the most important strategies which the organizations must address in the hospitality industry. These practices can improve managing of the employees belonging from diversified backgrounds. This will increase the overall performance of the business as the workforce will be aligned towards enhancing efficiency.
MONITORING AND EVALUATION OF EACH STEPS OF THE PROCESS
The steps discussed above show that the organizations must carefully monitor and evaluate each of the above mentioned steps. They must ensure application of the strategies and the outcomes of those implementations. The management must relate the performance of employees before and after the implementation of the plan. Evaluation of the business is measured on the basis of achievement in the relative areas of the business.
EEO ensures efficiency by employing the most suitable person for the job. All the steps of the implementation plan must be assessed on the basis of quantitative and qualitative results of the organization. The recruitment process must be strengthened and the initiation of the training programs must be the most important parts of the business. Feedback and complaint forums must be formed for increasing interaction of the employees on the local intranet forums. Management must form diversified working groups and tasks must be allotted to each groups. The assessment of qualitative and quantitative results must help in monitoring the success of the diversified workforce in accomplishing the goals.
PROCEDURES RELATING TO OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENT EFFICIENCY
The health and safety procedures are essential for managing an appropriate workplace environment. These procedures regulate the health and safety of the employees and propose methods for improving the overall efficiency of the systems. Organizations constantly analyze the internal systems of the organizations for ensuring that smooth systems are created for the effective reporting and resolving of the issues (Rogers & Ostendorf, 1994).
In the hospitality industry it is essential that the health and safety representatives working for the organization ensure efficient functioning of the overall processes. Some of the measures for improving the health and safety in the hospitality industry are the following (Alli, 2009):
- The material stored and the food cooked for the guests must be of best standards. The storage facilities must be cleaned and maintained for health and safety of the staff members and guests.
- The employees must not be allowed to smoke in the premises of the organization. Smoking is injurious for both active and passive smokers. Smoking creates a bad impression in front of the guests and hence the staff must not smoke in areas where he guest visit. Smoking lounges must be created for the employees to smoke. A premise must also be defined for the guests who smoke.
- Proper controls must be applied on the janitorial services of the organization. This ensures proper managing of the healthy and safety objects.
- Manual handlings of the object like lifting heavy objects which require repetitive and forceful movements of the body are parts of this hazard.
- The work environment must be properly designed which includes the elements of floor, lightning, ventilation, accessibility etc. for improving overall performance.
- Managing the plants which includes both powered and non powered equipment are essential for ensuring the health and safety of the employees. The vibration, noise, radiation, stability etc. of the equipment are essential for health and safety. This also includes usage of faulty equipment and using unsafe practices for the work.
- Drugs and alcohol abuse must be stopped. Hospitality industry is a service providing industry and the employees under such habits portray a very negative impression of the organization to the guests.
- The security measures must be appropriately managed. Security contributes to the effectiveness of health and safety of the employees.
- Other hazards include noise, personal security & violence, fire, disposition of biological substances etc.
All the measures which have been discussed above can be taken for improving the health and safety procedures of the organizations. The hospitality industry is the only service industry where small loopholes disrupt the entire performance of the organizations. Minor mistakes cause big damage to the reputation of the organizations in the hospitality industry. This makes it essential that the businesses enhance their efficiency and improve the overall business practices. Health and safety of the employees and the guests is essential for portraying a positive image of the organizations. This contributes in making the environment of the organization very efficient. Through this measure a positive message is communicated to the guests of the business and this keeps the morale of the employees high.
EEO act has been formed for safeguarding the employment rights of the people coming from diversified environments. In the hospitality industry the people coming from diversified backgrounds have to function together and they have to accomplish the organizational objective. The management is responsible for forming strategies which align them towards accomplishing the organizational goals. Benefits and targets of EEO contribute in improving overall business functions. The propositions for improving the business and implement a plan for improving the overall business are essential for the organization. Steps are required to be taken for monitoring and evaluating the business and the policies of EEO. The basic right of the employees which is health and safety is also a contributing factor for their performance.
Organizations require that they manage the overall business performance and the workforce who they have employed by offering merit based employment to the staff improves the overall efficiency of the business. Rights of the employees coming from diversified environment and varying on the basis of race, gender, sex and ethnic backgrounds contribute towards the overall performance of the business. This is EEO and it ensures that the overall business benefits from this trait. Measures required to be taken for the training and development of the employees are essential for enhancing the overall efficiency of the business.
List of References
Alli, B. O. (2009). Fundamental principles of occupational health and safety. International Labour Organization (ILO).
Karitane. (2007). What is equal employment opportunity? Available from http://www.karitane.com.au/organisation/pdf/WhatisEqualEmploymentOpportunity.pdf [Accessed 28 October]
Krieger, L. H. (1995). The content of our categories: A cognitive bias approach to discrimination and equal employment opportunity. Stanford Law Review, pp. 1161-1248.
Mok, C. (2002). Managing diversity in hospitality organizations. Human resource management: International perspectives in hospitality and tourism, pp. 212-224.
Pautler, P. (2011). Strategies for EEO training in a high turnover industry. Available from http://ahiattorneys.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Strategies-for-EEO-Training-in-a-High-Turnover-Industry-Pautler.pdf
Rogers, B., & Ostendorf, J. (1994). Occupational Health Nursing. John Wiley &Sons, Inc..
Tanke, M. L. (2001). Human resource management for the hospitality industry. CengageBrain. com.