– The Compromise of 1850
– Texas becomes a Southern State and the Mexican War ends.
– Popular sovereignty is approved by Congress.
– Slavery is the major cause of tension between the two sides.
– Abolitionists begin war against slavery.
– The Fugitive Slave Act angers the Northern states.
– Abolitionists use the “Underground Railroad” to help slaves escape.
– The release of Uncle Tom’s Cabin causes more tension between the two regions.
– Congress approves The Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854.
– The Republican Party is formed.